Harry Potter got to experience a lot of fascinating creatures during his seven adventures. The Philosopher’s Stone (Sorcerer’s Stone in the United States) introduced fans to the dragons of this world. The first one we meet is Norbert, a Norwegian Ridgeback. We learn later that Norbert is a girl renamed Noberta by Charlie Weasley, which surprises Hagrid.
In this post, we will list all the dragons we can in the world of Harry Potter.
Dragons In Harry Potter
- Norwegian Ridgeback
- Chinese Fireball
- Antipodean Opaleye
- Common Welsh Green
- Hungarian Horntail
- Hebridean Black
- Peruvian Vipertooth
- Romanian Longhorn
- Swedish Short-Snout
- Ukrainian Ironbelly
- Catalonian Fireball
- Portuguese Long-Snout
- Fred and George Weasley, Charlie’s younger twin brothers, set off a dragon fireworks display in the Goblet of Fire adaptation.
- Draco Malfoy’s name is Latin for dragon and snake.
- A joke is seen at the end of the Goblet of Fire film credits where it says, “No Dragons Were Harmed During the Making Of This Film,” as a reference to the Hungarian Horntail possibly dying.
- The motto of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry is Never Tickle A Sleeping Dragon, translated into Latin.
- It is possible that the giant reptile can be conjured as a Patronus, but it is incredibly rare.
- It is challenging to use spells against a dragon single-handedly. It usually takes two people to use the same spell on the same beast. However, Fleur Delacour put her beast in a daze during the Twi-Wizard Tournament.
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
- Dragon Breeding For Profit And Pleasure
- Dragon Species of Great Britain and Ireland
- From Egg to Inferno: A Dragon-Keeper’s Guide
- A Dragon Keeper’s Guide