A topic that comes up frequently is the order of the Harry Potter series. This means what order the books go in. What we wanted to do for this is include the screenplays for Fantastic Beasts and, of course, The Cursed Child stage play. We know people hate it, but it is semi-canon, so we must include it.
Anyway, the order of the Harry Potter series will focus on the main years in which the story is set, not the flashbacks that pop up or the alternate realities in The Cursed Child.
Also, please remember this is for the books, not the Harry Potter films. The only films included in this post are the Fantastic Beasts films, as the released books with the screenplays of the completed entries.
This post will also not address the additional material written about events after the main events of the books and before the original epilogue.
The Order Of The Harry Potter Series
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them – mostly 1926 – ends in 1927
- The Crimes of Grindelwald – 1927
- Secrets of Dumbledore – 1932
- Harry Potter Prequel – around 1977
- The Philosopher’s Stone – 1991-1992
- Chamber of Secrets -1992-1993
- Prisoner of Azkaban – 1993-1994
- Goblet of Fire – 1994-1995
- Order of the Phoenix -1995-1996
- Half-Blood Prince – 1996-1997
- Deathly Hallows – 1997-1998 main events – epilogue 2017
- The Cursed Child – 2017 to 2020 (first four years of Albus and Scorpius’ schooling)
The dates for the Fantastic Beasts films were confusing as some sources placed Secrets of Dumbledore as 1937. However, the Harry Potter Fandom site places the film as set in 1932, which makes more sense than 1937.